Getting A Copy Of Your IRS File

You may be wondering, “how much information does the IRS have about me?” and that is a fair question to ask! When you are looking to resolve tax problems you may be facing, obtaining your IRS file can be critical in analyzing what options are available to you. But be careful, as doing so on your own could raise some red flags. Getting help from a tax professional will allow you to get the correct information without getting negative attention from the IRS.

What Files Can Be Requested From The IRS?

There are several different types of IRS transcripts that you can request from the IRS. Please note that these transcripts are not a copy of your tax return itself. You can request that separately if desired.

Tax Account Transcript

Your tax account transcript contains basic data like marital status, return type, taxable income, AGI, and payment type. You can request up to 10 years prior as well as the current tax year if you request with the Form 4506-T.

Tax Return Transcript

Your tax return transcript contains most line items from your tax return, including your AGI. You can request the current tax year and up to three years prior.

Wage and Income Transcript

A wage and income transcript shows information from your W-2s, 1098s, 1099s, and IRS contribution. You can request the current tax year and up to 10 years prior using the Form 4506-T.

Record of Amount

The record of amount combines your tax account transcript and tax return transcript. You can request the current tax year as well as three years prior.

Verification of Non-Filing Letter

This document provides proof that the IRS does not have record of a 1040 for a particular year, but does not indicate whether or not you were required to file a return for that year. You can request the current tax year after June 15th and up to 10 years prior using the Form 4506-T.

Need Your IRS Files To Resolve Tax Problems?

In some cases, taxpayers need their IRS files to address a tax problem. If this is the case, the last thing you want to do is alert the IRS that there is an issue you are trying to fix before you have a chance to address it yourself. That’s why hiring a tax professional is important. At 4Corner, we know what information to request, and how to get it without raising any red flags with the IRS.

Contact 4Corner Today

If you need assistance in obtaining your IRS files, reach out to the tax professionals at 4Corner today. We are happy to help you get the information you need and help you solve your tax problems.